Wednesday 2 May 2007

Definately not Germany

After the superb efficiency, the politeness and the perfect level of cleanliness maintained in Germany, even the euro capital Strasbourg was a bit of a shock to the system. I planned to go for a walk down the Rhine so was waiting at the tram stop until someone came up to me told me that the drivers don't work today but there might be some trains. I visited the station and there were some trains running but no ticket offices open.

I headed across town where there amongst blue white and red knapkins blowing across the street and children chassing paper cups. The sign on the cathedral read "Fermé au cause des vents forts" which translates as "Today we couldn't be bothered". I proceded along the streets with cars rudely blasting their horns and tairing about in a manner that questioned my basic confidence in pedestrian crossings past shops that were shut.

Eventially, passing through a fortress which has been transformed into a park and substanial semi-derelict dock lands I came the euro pont which took me over the Rhine to Germany. I tried trecking for a bit but my path was blocked by abandoned work sites and by this time I was well behind sechedule so I returned again to Germany to enjoy a beer.

By the time I made it back to the campsite it was getting late, so I settled in a bar full of men with bristling mostaches and skin worn by playing boules in the sun over many years. Amidst the smoking and gambaling that was going on I asked one what was up. "It's the first of May. France doesn't work on the 1st of May."

The grumbling bus driver, the waiter who refussed to serve me any thing but crisps and wine because it was 5mins to midday and the immobility of the "we can't be bothered" sign the next morning suggested that this might not have been a complete explanation. Of course the washing machine doesn't work. We haven't changed it over from francs and don't stock them. Why would you want to use the drinking water taps? We don't turn them on. Strasbourg is absolutely full of character.

No comments: